Tuesday, November 22, 2016

A Grand Story

I finished my library books and needed something else.  In the mood of total indulgence, I selected a tried-and-true Heyer, The Grand Sophie.  This was one of my first Heyers, and, while I've loved it since that first time, it has gone up and down in relative estimation over the years.  The romance is not the *most* satisfying; Charles Rivenhall not the most dashing of heroes; too much other stuff going on.  Such have been the minor complaints I have had about this book over the years. On this read (and earlier ones as well, don't get me wrong), I appreciated what made this the book the Sps recommended as a starter - Sophie's completely indefatigable, unsinkable self.  She is never at a loss, schemes to perfection, and stays the best of friends and relatives in the process.  Great fun, great gun, ya know? This is not a book where there is any tension (not that GHs generally have too much of it).  Sophie masterminds it all from start to finish.  I love it when the main character does that.  And even better, Charles keeps up with her every step (otherwise it would be no fun - no thanks to humbled love interests).  And speaking of love interest, don't get me wrong, there's a good serving of romance here too.  So a main character that really might be GH's most fun creation, and alls-well-that-ends-well ending without too much complication in the interim, and a nice dose of the good stuff (romance that is).  Squee!

Verdict: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment